Saturday, August 11, 2012

New solar experiment!!

Well, I have been on the road working for 2 weeks straight without being home to the STEALTH camper.....we are just super busy in Lowes thru the end of this month! Then starting in September we are booked thru end of the year as well, in Home Depots in Indiana/Illinois.....and since I love to travel, it doesn't bother me at all to move from city to city, hotel to hotel, presently am in Logansport, IN at a real nice Holiday Inn Express thru Monday night. And since the company is picking up the bill, I'm not complaining! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- While I was in Arizona this past winter I met a couple who were living in a Chevy van, by choice.....they were in their 60s, no kids, and they were enjoying themselves and adapting to their new lifestyle. They were camped on BLM land outside of Quartzsite and had a little Honda scooter to ride to town. Oscar and I hit it off from the beginning, as he was a retired funeral director so we had an instant connection! Susan was retired from Macys. One day, they invited me over for dinner, and Susan had cooked up a great meatloaf along with potatoes and carrots and onions, with brownies for dessert! It struck me about midway thru dinner that because they were vandwellers, how did she cook up this great meal?? I knew they had a 2 burner cook stove, but brownies require an oven to bake them...so how did she bake the brownies?? In this:
A solar oven!! In fact, she cooked up the meatloaf in it as well!! A SOLAR OVEN!! I had heard of these, but never seen one much less enjoyed food cooked in one!! This intrigued me greatly, but I put it on "the back burner" so to speak...lolol...for more research later on. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- So, has anyone had any experience with a solar oven?? Have done some research online, and these things cost anywhere from $200. to $400. but will last for many years. The concept is simple enough, and the interior temps can get up to 400 degrees F.....so you can bake/cook nearly anything!! Look at it as a solar crock pot, because it takes time to cook in them!
And in the winter when the old sun is lower in the sky, I guess you would have to angle it greatly to get the full benefit of the suns rays.......whether I buy one or not will depend on different factors, but mainly the size of it!! Even folded down, the one I saw in the desert was pretty big!!

4 comments:

  1. That is an amazing little appliance. I have no experience or knowledge of one but it does raise my interest. Like you, I think I will file that in the to be looked at folder.

    May I ask, what exactly do you do on these jobs with Lowes, Home Depot etc? Sounds like a good gig traveling on their dime, good pay and steady work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We go in and do "mini remodels".....the projects are for for various suppliers i.e. DeWalt/John Deere/TroyBilt/Ryobi/Craftsman/Sylvania/Benjamin Moore/to name a few......at spring and fall trade shows, the suppliers "push/sell" the projects to clients, and contracts out the work to us on a regional basis. Our "team" is 3 guys, we will be in a store 3 to 5 days.

      Delete
  2. They seem to work really well although we don't have one either. Check this blog - http://www.apocketfullofwanderlust.com/search?q=solar+oven

    He's a member of cheaprving so he should be able to answer any questions that you have either on his blog or on the forum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something I've been interested in too, but didn't want to fork over the big bucks. I have found some instructions for homemade versions though, and I think that would be a good way to see if I'd utilize it. They're basically just foil, cardboard, a piece of glass and some stuffing. If you want, you can go to MotherEarthNews.com and search on "solar cooker" for some ideas. I have no affiliation.

    I'm a little chicken on this one, but I'd also like to try cooking a meal in foil over the engine while on a road trip. Is that too crazy?

    brenda from ar

    ReplyDelete