Monday, April 9, 2012

Mods continued.........

One thing I never got around to with the 1st STEALTH trailer, was doing something with the floor!! Fixed that issue with the new rig today!! Only spent $47. on this indoor/outdoor carpet!!

No, it wasn't a perfect job, but hey, no one will see it most of the time but me, so who cares!! Tomorrows project?? PANELLING!! That job will be a little tricky as well, since the interior height is 6'-6", and sheets of panelling are 8' high.....but will hide the mis-cuts with crown moldings!

Also, the new solar batteries are at the local NAPA store being charged up, since they came in pretty much dead!! Tried to charge up using the new solar panels, but I blew out the inline fuse.....also cooked the new 1000watt inverter!! Not real sure what happened, but I know its cooked!! Giving serious thought to saying the heck with the solar AND the wind, and just re-charging the batts with an onboard genset with battery charger hooked in!! Likely would not have to run genset more than 3 hours a day to top off the batts, and even then only every few days.....

Got to be in Tennessee next couple weeks doing the Ace gig, so need to get the panelling done before leaving!

7 comments:

  1. I like the generator idea instead of the solar and wind. I think a genny is more reliable. If you get a small Honda you'll never have a problem with it and probably won't even hear it running. I'd suggest setting up an onboard external tank for gasoline. Maybe a 10 or 20 gallon on the roof?

    What about insulation?

    I'm excited for you to be able to do up another cargo trailer! You'll get it right this time.

    -Don

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not bothering with insulation this time....it only gives an R factor of maybe 5, and with such a small, tightly built space, the LP heater works just fine! The carpet will keep the floor warmer too....

      I'm with you on the shower too!! It was a major space eater....solar shower will work just fine, and if not, there are always Pilots!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, sorry to hear about the inverter. That's really a bummer. The carpet looks great! Have you already picked out the paneling?

    And I had to re-read it several times to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me....

    BlackSheep prefers a genset? This world's gone crazy! Say it ain't so! LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The panelling is going to be a light birch....and yes, I am going with a genset! I prefer solar/wind, but this is going to be another experiment......

      Delete
  3. You go man!! Looking Good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear John... if Illinois wasn't such a commute and I wasn't in the middle of my busiest time of the season I'd come help!

    I absolutely LOVE doing that type of stuff and even though I'm definitely not a pro, I'm really good at following directions and I have tons of patience :)

    Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm finding 100W solar enough for me even w/ a 12V DC only compressor fridge in my RV. Most of the time that is. I'm keeping my Honda generator as Murphy Insurance. :)

    ReplyDelete